Sunday, January 11, 2009

Gmail migration script done!

Hello there again! Nothing like a little good olde' scripting to usher in the new year. As most of you will recall I was working on a script to migrate email from an existing imap server on to google app. The only thing that my script needed to do was transform folders into labels. Easy peasy I thought sure someone else has encountered this. Boy, was I wrong. I could not for the life of me find anything of the sort out there!

Well, no matter. I proceeded to create my own script from scratch and after about 2 hours my script could already scan my existing imap server, list all the folders and re-create them as labels on my gmail account! It was then that I stumbled across this piece of genius xiao duo so graciously left of the web. Their script was made to migrate emails from an existing gmail account to another gmail account. I found that the script they had complemented mine to a T! Talk about Laws of Attraction!! Great! All I had to do now was to transplant my script using my vim scalpel on to my script and faster than you can say Fedora 10's release name I had a working super duper gmail migration script!

Everything works as it should. About the only drawback I noticed with my script was that with TmNut's great connection, the connection timed out on me a few times and after restarting the script it started screening the folders right from the top again. Maddening! This is one of the improvements I have noted down, but for now everything works just fine. I can't attach any code here, so if for some reason you need the script just drop me a comment or a line here.

Catch ya laterz.
Post a Comment